Sunday, August 28, 2011

Why writer Bob Mayer could be my new hero

Would I have preferred to land a multi-book publishing contract for An Unlawful Order? Absolutely. But my timing, as usual, sucks. At this moment, the entire publishing world, as we've known it, appears to be in a state of flux.

Take, for instance, John Locke's recent deal with a publisher who gave Locke all his e-rights. Whoa. Take Bob Mayer, self-publishing guru and novelist in my genre of military conspiracy thrillers, who went from selling 347 copies last January to 80,000 in June. Double whoa.

For a better understanding of how self-published authors are doing it, or rather should be doing it, listen to the Bob Mayer interview.

Now, would I turn down a multi-book publishing contract? No. I'm a product of an MFA program, and still clinging to the ideal of having my writing validated by one of the Big Six. (insert sigh)




No comments:

Post a Comment