Saturday, August 27, 2011

If you're a writer, you need this book...

Today, I thought I'd share a writing tip.

Since the release of An Unlawful Order a few weeks ago, I've been overwhelmed with positive feedback from customer and editorial reviews on Amazon to customer emails. What I'm hearing most from readers is that they love the conflicts -- both internal and external -- as well as the page-turning momentum of the plot.

If so, then I owe the majority of it to Robert McKee and his book, Story. McKee's book is primarily for screenwriters, but novelists can learn just as much. I've studied the book for several years, I've highlighted and tabbed, I've even attended three Robert McKee screenwriting seminars with this book in mind so that I could make it stronger.

I recommend this book after you've written your first draft. It's best to read Story with your own plot and characters in mind, and if you will, I guarantee you, this book will help you flesh out the weaker moments of characterization and plot. 

Happy storytelling!







No comments:

Post a Comment